Over 30 years as an equipment restore technician, one of many issues I see most regularly is a washer that gained’t spin. Luckily, the reason for that is generally one thing easy which you could repair. On this article, I’ll stroll you thru the steps to get your washer draining like new once more, saving you money and time.
Why Your Washer Isn’t Draining
Whereas on uncommon events, a damaged pump must be changed, most frequently the issue is a clogged drain. Water that hasn’t drained out is so heavy that it might severely harm the washer throughout spin. To stop this, water-level sensors in your washer gained’t let it progress to spin till all of the water has drained. So that you’re caught with a bathtub stuffed with water.
The reason for the clog is often small objects within the laundry that received sucked into the drain, blocking the circulate of water in the course of the drain/spin cycle. These are simply a number of the objects I’ve discovered clogging washer drains: panties, thongs, paper cash, metallic bra wires, tons of cash, hairpins, hair ties, rubber bands, and child socks.
It’s straightforward to forestall this downside with two easy steps:
- At all times empty pockets earlier than washing.
- Put small clothes objects right into a zippered mesh bag to forestall them from being sucked into the drain.
Signs of a washer with a drain downside are:
- The cycle ends and the bathtub remains to be stuffed with water.
- Low buzzing sound from low within the washer attributable to a caught impeller when the washer is about for drain/spin.
- Garments are nonetheless moist on the finish of the cycle.
- Error codes displaying on the show panel. Examples of drain error codes are OE, LD, and ND. (All these codes imply no drain.)
- The washer isn’t spinning when set to empty/spin.
It is a beginner-level venture that ought to take about half-hour.
- Security precautions: Unplug the washer earlier than you begin.
- Instruments wanted:
- Small nut driver
Step 1: Expose the Drain’s Coin Lure
Some washers have a small door within the decrease proper or left nook of the entrance panel with entry to the washer’s coin lure. Simply hinge this door open to get to the coin lure. The coin lure is a plastic tray with holes in it that lets water go to the drain however catches cash and different small objects earlier than they will are available contact with the drain impeller.
Different fashions of washers may have an oblong decrease panel that spans all the width of the entrance panel under the washer door. For these fashions, use the nut driver to take away between 2 to 4 small screws under the decrease panel.
Professional Tip: To make it simpler to get to the screws securing the decrease panel, lean the washer again and put one thing round 2 inches thick like a block of two×4 wooden below the washer.
Step 2: Drain Out the Water
For many fashions, you may comply with these steps to empty the water from the washer tub.
- Pull out the small tube subsequent to the coin lure and put it over the bucket.
- Take away the plastic stopper within the tube to let the water drain into the bucket.
- Put the stopper again in as soon as the bucket is close to full.
- Pour out the bucket into the sink.
- Repeat this course of till no extra water comes out. There’s in all probability loads of water so it could take many tries till all of the water is out.
Possibility B — in case your washer doesn’t have a small drain tube:
- Put a towel on the ground in entrance of the coin lure cowl.
- Place the bucket on the towel straight below the coin lure cowl.
- Slowly flip the coin lure plastic cowl counterclockwise till water slowly dribbles into the bucket.
- Because the bucket will get near being full flip the coin lure cowl clockwise to tighten it and cease the circulate of water.
- Repeat till no extra water comes out.
Possibility C — if in case you have a latest Whirlpool mannequin. Current Whirlpool fashions don’t have entrance entry to the coin lure cowl. On these fashions, you entry the drain by eradicating the again panel. Observe these steps:
- Transfer the washer away from the wall by about two toes so you will have room to work.
- Take away all of the screws holding the again panel to the washer. When you take away the again panel, you’ll see the coin lure cowl below the bathtub pointing towards the facet of the washer.
- A bucket gained’t match below the bathtub so you should use a frying pan or cookie sheet to seize the water.
- Any such coin lure doesn’t have a small drain hose, so that you’ll have to slowly flip the coin lure cowl as defined in Possibility B to begin and cease the circulate of water.
Step 3: Take away the Coin Lure Cowl
After getting drained out all of the water, unscrew the coin lure cowl by turning it counterclockwise. (In case you adopted Possibility B or Possibility C, you’ve already accomplished this.)
Step 4: Take away the Clog
- Pull the coin shelf in direction of you and out of the drain. This will likely take some pressure if clothes objects are wedged into it.
- Take a look at the coin lure shelf to see what’s inflicting the clog and pull the objects out.
- Use your flashlight to look behind the place the coin lure sits contained in the drain meeting to test for objects caught within the tube between the bathtub and the again of the coin lure. Take away any objects rigorously together with your fingers or needlenose pliers. Word: Go slowly as clogs within the tube could also be holding again extra water that may rush out when you take away the objects inflicting the clog.
Step 5: Reinstall the Coin Lure and Cowl
- Wiggle the coin lure shelf again into the drain. preserving it horizontal.
- Tighten the coin lure cowl by turning clockwise till it gained’t flip anymore.
Step 6: Reinstall the Decrease Cowl
- Put the decrease panel again on and reinstall the screws. —
- For different fashions, reinstall the again cowl and screws.
Step 7: Check for Leaks
- Plug in your washer and begin a standard cycle. Because it fills. look ahead to any indicators of a leak.
- In case you see any water leaking from below your washer, press the cancel button to cease the water from filling and activate the drain. You’ll have to tighten the coin lure cowl to ensure there’s a good seal.
- If it passes the leak check, begin a spin cycle to check the drain.
Your washer ought to now drain shortly and absolutely. You’ve saved time and cash and stored one other washer out of the landfills. (Word: In case your washer nonetheless gained’t drain the water, then it’s time to name in a technician to interchange the drain pump. Both the drain motor is worn out or the impeller is damaged.)
Try simpler DIY equipment repairs from Scott the Repair-It Man.