Dec 09, 2021
USDA has a confirmed monitor file of defending U.S. farmers from international animal and plant pests and illnesses.
When African Swine Fever (ASF) was detected within the Dominican Republic and Haiti this summer time, we swung into motion and instantly enhanced present exclusion efforts because of the proximity of the detections to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Working carefully with federal companions, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and business, we’re actively:
- Enhancing ASF surveillance in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands;
- Increasing an present classical swine fever sampling program to incorporate ASF;
- Implementing an enhanced outreach program in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, to remind residents not to herald international pork and pork merchandise from ASF-affected international locations;
- Working with U.S. Customs and Border Safety to extend inspections of Dominican Republic flights for prohibited merchandise and guarantee correct disposal of airplane rubbish;
- Persevering with efforts to take away city Puerto Rican feral swine
To additional defend U.S. swine manufacturing, we suspended the interstate motion of all reside swine, swine germplasm, swine merchandise, and swine byproducts from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands to the U.S. mainland. We additionally established an OIE-recognized international animal illness safety zone (PZ) round Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands to forestall illness entry and defend mainland producers and their markets.
We’re offering the Dominican Republic with essential technical help, significantly laboratory experience, as a part of a surveillance program and dealing with them to find out subsequent steps.
Right here at dwelling we’ve reached out to home producers to remind them of the crucial significance of biosecurity on US farm and are working with our companions within the Agricultural Analysis Service on promising vaccine analysis. Our specialists are analyzing potential ASF-introduction pathways and figuring out risk-reducing methods.
We’ll proceed to take these and some other actions needed to guard our invaluable pork business.
We encourage vacationers, producers and veterinarians to take a look at the ASF Data on our web site.