Urban Agriculture and Food Systems Breakthroughs in Research and Practice
How and why are vegetables grown? How to do it? What are the requirements for climate, soil, water, fertilizers, etc., and what is agriculture? Many such questions arise in the minds of common people. If we find the answers to such questions in simple language from a scientific point of view, the minds of the questioners will satisfied. For this, four major factors need to consider first. 1. What farming tools do you have? 3. Decide whether you will plant grains or vegetables. 3. What arrangements/availability do you have to make this farming a reality? 4. What are we going to do after the farm to send and sell the farm produce to the market? Is there such an arrangement or not?
Urban Agriculture The above four points are important. With this in mind, there are two types of vegetable farming.
1. it grows Vegetables in the kitchen garden for your personal needs.
2. Some people prepare high-quality seeds from vegetables and sell them in the market without selling them.
3. Some people only grow vegetables for their home, farm fence, and food.
4. Most people grow vegetables depending on the right season/weather, but those who grow non-seasonal crops when there is no season make a lot of money.
Urban Agriculture Growing vegetables in the kitchen garden
If you have a small plot of land in your yard or backyard and you like to grow vegetables, you can grow vegetables with a little effort and time. Eating self-cooked vegetables not only brings happiness to the mind but also gives us health benefits. Because of this…
A) The family takes care of daily vegetables.
B) Get fresh vegetables every day. The quality of such vegetables is superior.
C) Gives health benefits to fresh vegetables.
D) If everyone in the house pays attention to the work of this homemaker, different vegetables can planted.
E) Recently, many families have taken an interest in housework. They have also started increasing the usefulness of the home by collecting more and more information.
F) In their spare time, homemakers seen taking care of their kitchen garden. They are enjoying growing vegetables at home. Some are taking financial advantage of it.
Urban Agriculture Space for kitchen garden
Let’s assume that everyone knows how to plant vegetables in the home garden, in the space. If there is no space, it can grow vegetables in leaf boxes, pots, pans, or even on the roof of the house.
If there is plenty of space
Vegetables can planted anywhere behind or in front of the house, on the left or right side of the house. If there is plenty of space, it can grow different crops of vegetables in each season. So you don’t have to go to the market every day and you will save money.
It limits if space
Only seasonal vegetables can take if there is limited space for the kitchen garden.
If there is less space
Some houses have tiny space around them, so they should put some vegetables in a small pot or leaf litter in a box. You can satisfy your cravings by planting some fruit and vegetable vines on the house or on the wall.
In a multi-story building
If you live in a flat in the city, there will be no land to grow vegetables. Still, don’t bend over backwards. Pots, cans, empty drums, can placed on the roof or balcony and they can plant some selected vegetables. For this, the cultivation of chilli, okra, mint, cilantro, the onion will be suitable.
Urban Agriculture Caution
Some care has to take before planting vegetables in cans and pots.
1. it should give Waterproof paint on the place where the pots are to placed, this will not break the cement and the mud can easily washed/cleaned.
2. Make sure the pots stay in the sun for at least a few hours.
3. it should not expose the pots to smoke or gas.
Urban Agriculture The benefits of a homemade
We are doing any work for some benefit or use. No one will do free business if there is no profit. Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Working at home gives the body a little exercise. This exercise makes sense. So the body stays healthy.
2. Such work is also entertaining and makes the mind happy by paying attention to how the plants you plant grow.
3. It is okay to consider it a hobby of leisure time. Even homemakers and adults can enjoy working in the home. It can also bring financial benefits.
4. It is not only a physical exercise but also a way to keep the brain healthy and engage the mind. Wisdom is more effective if there is greenery in or around the house.
5. It is a work that gives pleasure at home. There is no need to change clothes, no need to go anywhere. It is enough to spend an hour, half an hour a day in this kitchen garden.
6. Anyone in the house can do this work according to their tastes and preferences.
7. Anyone who loves plant plants and pottery can do this job well.
8. There is no limit to the joy of home-grown vegetables.
9. Vegetables in your kitchen garden are plentiful, nutritious, flavorful, and leading in quality.
10. If school-going children pay attention in the kitchen garden, their creativity increases. This is a great way to get closer to nature and understand nature.
Urban Agriculture Special matters related to vegetable cultivation
There are a few things to keep in mind in growing vegetables at home. You just have to be more discriminating with the help you render toward other people. Without planning, there is no success. Planning leads to less labour, less cost, and more benefits. For this, keep in mind the following.
1. The soil is not suitable for the home. Whatever the soil, they can make it cultivable.
2. If you have small and big rocks in your soil, they consider such soil rocky. It has low sand content, or it is clay. Germination can enhanced by adding organic matter or sand in such soils.
3. Note that your homestead is close to home. There must be a fence around the house. This is because animals, birds, young children, or walkers should not enter the house. At the time of growing vegetables and plants are delicate, take care not to harm them.
4. Home vegetables should easily brought into the house.
5. Never pour a bucket of water in a pot, pot, or earthen pot, as the soil is likely to carry away. You can give real home water to houseplants, but it should not contain soap or chemicals. Gently water with plastic pipe, spray, sieve.
6. Bananas, aloes watered by running water from a hole or using it in the bathroom. This leads to an increase in production.
7. The home should not be in the shade. If there is shade, there is no success in hard work. Plants should have a place where sunlight stays.
8. it fixes the germination and growth seasons of leafy vegetables and fruits. Before the onset of such season, for the sowing of vegetable seeds, soil larvae, pots, compost should filled with compost and it should sow the seeds in the soil.
9. it should choose Seeds keeping in mind the vegetables that your family members like. Also pay attention to how the soil is, what the irrigation system is. The right decision at the right time is the motto of the farming business.
10. Grow vegetables in the same space, considering how much time you can give to the homemaker. Also consider the equipment, water. It can achieve a lot of products with proper planning in less space.
11. There should be no problems while using clay pots in open spaces. Arrangements should be made so that work can be done easily.
12. Vegetables that grow for a long time should planted on the side without planting them in the middle of the house.
13. we should space Crops that come for early harvest or use without thickening. Keep distance while sowing seeds of such crops.
Urban Agriculture Fertilizer for home
A) We build a home for our family. It would be appropriate to use cow dung for this purpose. Also, compost manure will be useful for mattresses. The manure should be rotten.
B) No fertilizer should dumped in the field. Then break it up and make it like soil. Mix it in the soil and put it in the field, in the pots and pans.
C) After germination of seedlings, it should mix chemical fertilizers with an appropriate amount of water and applied to the roots of the seedlings. This diet is suitable for transplanting.
D) No chemical fertilizer should apply directly to the roots or seeds of the plant. Chemical fertilizers are hot. Seeds and seedlings get burnt if used properly. These fertilizers should be applied with water in the soil away from the stump.
E) Many agronomists advise in various ways on which fertilizer to apply for home gardens according to the crop. Consider the following points to inform. If the house has a ten plot of ten square meters or mattress for that land –
1. Two and a half carts or 13 quintals of manure or compost required.
2. it requires 16 kg of ammonium sulfate to mix in the soil before sowing.
3. If it is not possible to mix ammonium sulfate in the soil before sowing, apply ammonium nitrate on all four sides away from their roots after germination.
Urban Agriculture Seed sowing of vegetables
1) Seeds should be of high quality or reputed companies. There is a risk of wastage of labour if it sows light varieties. So it wastes time and money.
2. Seeding time should be appropriate. If sown at the wrong time, it damages the house. It achieves nothing.
3. they should consider what type of soil while sowing.
A) If the soil is dense, sow the seeds on top.
B) If the soil is light and loamy, sow the seeds a little deeper.
4. When you bring seedlings ready or sow seeds, it should cover them with moist soil.
5. it sows If seeds deep, and it sows more seeds in one place, the crop or vegetable cannot take in profitable quantity. Because those seeds do not get the right amount of fertilizer for their distribution. Because the grown seedlings are not healthy and fit.
6. When the seedlings appear on the ground, keep the sprouts properly grown. It should remove weak and weak shoots. This action called dilution.
7. If you want to plant a fruit and vegetable vine, sow its seeds on the side of the fence or wall. This is because as soon as the vine grows, it can be raised to the base of a wall or fence. If the vine grows tall and spreads on the wall or fence sticks, the yield is great.
8. When sowing seeds in the home garden, plan the space properly so that dense vegetables appear everywhere. I should not leave space vacant. Plenty of seedlings/vines also mean a lot of production.
9. Seed varieties of early growth and high yielding seeds selected with the help of vegetable seed information by experts and yield maintained for a long period. E.g. Peas are a peanut. There are three varieties. Their names are Arkil, Lucknow Binia, and Asoji. If seeds got and sown between the 10th and 20th of October, it harvests the crop by mid-December. This groundnut vine grows fast and starts producing for a long time. From February to mid-March, the vines grow pods. It requires proper care and protection from pests.
Urban Agriculture Planting vegetables from the roof and pots
Since there is no space for planting vegetables, one can plant flowers or ornamental plants like cactus, etc. from the pot. We can meet our needs to some extent by planting vegetables instead. We can also make mattress pads by spreading a plastic cloth on the roof. It can also take vegetables from such waffles.
Multi-story buildings are flat. Naturally, those living in flats do not have land. They plant vegetables on the balcony using pots, leaf boxes, old boxes, roofs, etc. and satisfy their cravings. If the plant is around, the air stays pure. Sometimes the financial gain comes from the sale of vegetables.
1. Pots come in buckets or different sizes. They should be easy to lift and move. Clay pots are useful for this.
2. Cement pots are also available in the market. But they should not be too heavy.
3. Pepper, Tomato, Eggplant, Wal, Okra seedlings continue to produce for a long time. Use pots for this.
4. We can cultivate cilantro, fenugreek, mint, safflower, spinach in the soil spread on the roof. This will get fresh vegetables. They can remove it when needed and only when needed.
5. they can plant Vegetables from roofs, decorations, pots. But it should not be wet. For this a) Apply varnish to the pots. B) Boxes, leaf boxes, plastic boxes should fitted with handles so that they can easily lift and carried. C) Use water only as needed, do not give water that will carry away soil.
Large-scale business and gardening
If you have a passion for gardening, capacity, space, and time, you can make a huge profit by growing vegetables and fruits. But this is not an isolated incident. You can do this business with the help of helpers or with the help of family members. Sometimes a lot of work done at the same time or a lot of work has to done at the same time. So it needs help.