Realizing that your lens was soiled throughout a shoot is just not a nice feeling. While some specks of mud and different penalties of a soiled lens may be mounted by way of spot therapeutic and different post-processing, it’s a lot simpler to make certain your lens is clear to start with and save modifying time. Plus, consideration to the state of your lens will assist it retain its worth over time and enhance its longevity.
This information will train you the way to clear your digicam lens, advise what not to do, and discover different lens cleansing concerns.
Table of Contents
Should You Clean Your Lens?
It’s vital to perceive that cleansing your lens isn’t at all times essential, and it’s solely potential to clear your lens an excessive amount of. Every time you clear your lens, you threat injury to vital optical coatings in addition to the lens glass itself. That being mentioned, for those who clear a soiled lens correctly, these dangers are minimized, and you will notice constructive outcomes.
How to Tell If Your Lens Needs Cleaning
There are alternative ways to gauge whether or not your lens must be cleaned or not. We will cowl two of them: with easy visible inspection and by capturing a photograph of a plain floor.
One of the only methods to examine for a soiled lens is to have a look at it utilizing a flashlight. Set your lens someplace secure and use a gentle as essential to search for smudges, mud, and different indicators of a soiled lens. You might want to use studying glasses to make it easier to see small particulars.
For greatest outcomes, open the aperture as huge as potential (the smallest f-stop) in an effort to shine the sunshine by the lens and see imperfections. Try not to shine the sunshine at your eyes by the lens, as a result of this might damage your eyes.
Note that these strategies may also be helpful when inspecting a pre-owned lens to decide its high quality. This technique will enable you to detect scratches, chips, fungus, and different imperfections.
Be certain to examine each the entrance factor and the again factor of the lens. While the again factor is much less possible to get soiled as a result of it isn’t uncovered, mud and smudges on the again factor are most noticeable due to the way in which gentle travels by your lens.
Note: If you discover imperfections in your lens which have branches extending from them, that is possible lens fungus. This is mentioned additional on this article, however fungus is often extra sophisticated to take away than mud and smudges.
Photograph a Plain Surface
One of the simplest and defining strategies is to examine for spots on a picture of a clean sheet of paper or the sky.
1. Set your aperture to the very best quantity out there (Aperture Priority mode could be helpful for this). This ensures that the depth of subject is as excessive as potential, and you might be extra possible to get any undesirable specks to present up.
2. Point your digicam at a good, light-colored floor similar to a clean piece of paper or the blue sky. Make certain that the floor takes up the whole thing of the picture.
3. Set your lens to Manual Focus and focus to infinity. This is achieved by turning the main focus ring to the infinity (∞) image in your lens.
4. Take a picture and examine for specks, smudges, and different artifacts created by a soiled lens.
This is feasible to do on the digicam LCD in case you are in a hurry, however ideally it’s best to have a look at the picture on a laptop in a photograph modifying program. This permits you to spot even the tiniest spots, and enhance or lower publicity and distinction if the unique picture doesn’t present spots as clearly as you’d like.
What You Will Need to Clean a Lens
There are numerous merchandise and kits out there to make it easier to clear your lens. Here are a few of the necessities to clear your lens correctly.
- Air blower to take away mud
- Soft brush to take away mud and different particles
- Microfiber material, lens cleansing tissue, and/or digicam lens wipes (don’t use any material that’s wood-based similar to a paper towel)
- Lens cleansing answer (not essential for those who use digicam lens wipes)
- Some kind of flashlight to examine your cleansing (not essential, however helpful)
How to Clean a Dirty Lens
Follow these steps, on this order, to clear your lens as safely and effectively as potential.
Tip: As a basic guideline, do the simplest and large-scale steps first, after which work up to the extra sophisticated and detailed steps.
1. Use an air blower on the soiled factor(s) of your lens. Blow as a lot mud and dust off as potential, and watch out not to make contact between the glass and the blower until your blower has a brush on the top of it.
2. Use a tender brush (ideally designed for digicam lenses to guarantee it received’t scratch the glass) to wipe off different particles that couldn’t be blown off. It’s potential that you simply received’t want this step if the air blower removed a lot of the mud and dust.
3. Using a microfiber material or lens cleansing tissue, take away oil and smudges utilizing a lens cleansing answer. Apply a drop or two of a lens-specific cleansing answer to the fabric (not to the lens) and wipe the lens in small round motions.
Be mild; you shouldn’t want to “scrub.” If you might have lens cleansing wipes, the lens cleansing fluid ought to already be within the material itself, and also you received’t want to apply any additional fluid.
4. Use a flashlight to examine your cleansing and repeat steps the place essential. Be cautious not to have a look at the sunshine by the lens; this might injury your eyes.
5. Allow the lens to air-dry earlier than changing the lens cap(s).
6. As a bonus step, examine the outside of the lens for residues or different soiled components. You can wipe these off utilizing a dry cleansing material. While a soiled exterior received’t essentially have an effect on your picture high quality, it’s good to hold your gear in fine condition.
How NOT to Clean Your Lens
Here are a few vital issues to keep away from when safely and effectively cleansing your lens.
- Avoid wooden pulp-based cleansing cloths, similar to paper towels, Kleenex, rest room paper, and so on.
- Avoid cleaning soap and chemical cleaners (e.g. bleach, ammonia, glass cleaner), and actually another non-lens-specific cleaners.
- Avoid something abrasive, similar to brushes with tough bristles, sandpaper, and anything that may injury your lens components.
- Do not put liquid instantly onto the lens. Instead, put a small quantity of liquid on a lens-safe material.
- Avoid utilizing microfiber cloths which are already oily, dusty, or soiled. Reusable microfiber cloths are often washable.
- Do not use your breath to moisten the lens for cleansing. There are numerous theories about this, however the basic consensus is that something water-based (like your breath’s condensation) received’t do a lot good in cleansing your lens. Instead, it is going to simply smudge oil that’s already on the factor.
- Do not use something in cleansing your lens that you’re not sure about. Ideally, use solely digicam lens-specific cleansing tools. If you might have to use non-camera-specific merchandise, do analysis beforehand to guarantee what you might be utilizing is just not going to trigger hurt to your tools.
- Don’t even take into consideration immersing your lens in water.
Other Lens Cleaning Methods and Considerations
All kinds of experiments and theories concerning lens cleansing have gotten extra out there than ever. Here are a few different strategies and concerns for additional studying.
The Spots Could Be a Dirty Sensor
If your lens is clear and you continue to discover specks in your photographs, your digicam sensor could be soiled. This is a bit extra tedious (and may be extra consequential) than cleansing a lens, so many photographers choose to have their sensor cleaned professionally at their native digicam retailer. If you’re prepared to study, nonetheless, right here is how to clear a digicam sensor.
Cleaning Pens and Carbon
Some firms have created digicam lens-specific “pens” which have carbon particles to take in oil whereas cleansing off mud and different particles. Check out LensPen, the unique lens-specific instrument that serves this function.
Similar to LensPen utilizing carbon to clear, candle soot comprises carbon particles that may probably be used to clear smudges off of your lens. Some photographers use candle soot to clear their lenses, although others don’t suggest going that DIY route for utilizing carbon to clear.
Make Your Own Cleaning Brush
Instead of a brush designed particularly for lenses, you may as well carry round an abnormal paintbrush into a clip-on cleansing brush by sawing off a lot of the deal with and drilling a gap in what stays to connect a keychain and carabiner. If you select to do that, be sure you use a tender paintbrush that received’t scratch your lens components. Otherwise, use it just for brushing issues like sand off the physique of the lens relatively than the glass components. If doubtful, don’t use it!
Cleaning Fungus Inside the Lens
In regards to lens fungus (talked about briefly above), most photographers will seek the advice of a skilled, whether or not it’s their native digicam store or the lens producer. However, there are some printed strategies for eradicating fungus in some components of your lens.
One technique concerned submerging lens components in a cleaned vacuum field with rubbing alcohol to take away the fungus between glued components. If you’re expert and educated sufficient, you can additionally utterly take aside a lens to cope with critical fungus points.
Keeping Your Lens Clean
As a last be aware, when you’ve cleaned your lens, it’s vital to hold it as clear as potential. Always use lens caps on each the back and front components. If you’re capturing in a dusty setting for days at a time, you’ll possible want to clear your lens each day. Store your lenses in a secure place similar to a digicam bag or some kind of case in order that mud and different particles have a decrease likelihood of reaching the lens. Above all, consciousness in regards to the state of your lens is essential in understanding when to clear your lens and the way to hold it as clear as potential.
Image credit: Header photograph from Depositphotos. All different pictures by Justin Hein.