The life expectancy of fruit timber varies with the kind of fruit tree, and the rootstock that they’re grafted onto (in the event that they’re not rising on their very own roots).
Timber on dwarf rootstock are likely to have a shorter life span than their bigger counterparts as a result of the best way that the dwarfing impact is achieved is because of the root system being smaller and fewer vigorous.
Fruit Tree Life Expectancy Checklist
The listing under consists of many frequent fruit tree varieties, and their common lifespan in years. Be aware that the lifespan could also be longer in splendid situations.
- Almond* – 40-‐50
- Apple (full measurement) – 35+ years
- Apple (semi-dwarf) – 20-25 years
- Apple (dwarf) – 15-20 years
- Apricot – 20-30 years
- Cherry (bitter) – 15-20 years
- Cherry (candy) – 20-30 years
- Citrus – 30 to 35 years
- Fig – 50–75 years
- Guava – 30‐40+
- Jujube – 100+
- Loquat – 100+
- Mango – 200+
- Mulberry (black) – 100+ years
- Mulberry (purple) – 75 years
- Mulberry (white) – 100+ years
- Olive – 500+ years
- Pear (full measurement) – 35-45 years
- Pear (semi-dwarf) – 20-25 years
- Pear – (dwarf) 15-20 years
- Peach – 15-20 years
- Persimmon – 50-‐75
- Plum – 15-20 years
- Pomegranate – 200 years
- Quince 30-40 years
- Sapote (white, yellow) – 100+
Almonds are included on this listing as a result of they’re associated to peaches and nectarines, and are literally simply fleshless peaches, not true nuts.
Apples vary of their longevity, however some could be exceedingly long-lived. Some espaliered apple timber have remained productive after 150 years, as a result of they’re much less inclined to breaking branches. For that reason, espaliered timber can have an extremely lengthy life span!
The fruit of olives are botanically classed as a drupe, just like the fruit of a peach or plum, and subsequently seem within the listing. They’re additionally one of many longest-lived timber, that may reside nicely over 1,000 years. The traditional olive tree of Vouves, positioned within the village of Ano Vouves on the island of Crete, is believed to be the oldest olive tree on this planet. It’s estimated to be over 2,000 years previous, and as much as 4,000 years previous. and much more extremely, nonetheless produces olives.
Apricots can reside fairly a very long time, however plum-apricot hybrids (plumcots and apriums) are likely to have a brief life span in very chilly areas.
- College of Vermont, Grasp Gardener Fruit Timber within the Dwelling Backyard, M. Garcia <https://www.uvm.edu/~orchard/fruit/treefruit/tf_homeorchards/Mastergardenertreefruit.pdf>
- College of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Horticulture – Espalier, Susan Mahr <https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/articles/espalier/>
- PlantVillage – Figs https://plantvillage.psu.edu/subjects/fig/infos
- Britannica, The Editors of Encyclopaedia. “olive”. Encyclopedia Britannica, Invalid Date, https://www.britannica.com/plant/olive-plant. Accessed 13 July 2022.
- Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, Texas Citrus Tree Values, EHT-011, 7/13, Juan R. Anciso and Luis A. Ribera https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/EHT-011.pdf
- College of Georgia Extension, Pomegranate Manufacturing, Round 997 https://safe.caes.uga.edu/extension/publications/recordsdata/pdf/Cpercent20997_7.PDF
- College of Maine Cooperative Extension, How and when ought to I prune again sprouts to encourage extra lateral development with out prompting extra water sprouts on my apricot tree? July 7, 2022 https://extension.umaine.edu/gardening/2022/07/07/how-and-when-should-i-prune-back-sprouts-to-encourage-more-lateral-growth-without-prompting-more-water-sprouts-on-my-apricot-tree/