The kitchen is the guts of the house; laughter, dialog and happy appetites might be impressed by the home-cooked meal. Sadly, one much less interesting wrongdoer additionally could discover its origin within the kitchen: fatbergs – big globs of Fat, Oils and Grease (FOG) that construct up and clog pipes.
Water that goes down the kitchen drain doesn’t disappear; it travels by the sanitary sewer system to the wastewater remedy plant to be processed and cleaned after which is reused for functions equivalent to groundwater recharge and panorama irrigation or launched again out into nature to hitch the water cycle as soon as once more.
As a result of sewer techniques gather water from 1000’s of kitchens, the smallest quantity of FOG can construct up and ultimately clog a pipe because the fat and grease cling to the within of drains and sewer pipes.
Clogged pipes can result in sewage overflows, a severe temper killer at a vacation soiree. Even worse, uncooked sewage can again up into houses or erupt by manholes, inflicting harm to houses and the setting. Grease is the reason for roughly 47% of blocked sewage overflows within the U.S. annually (Husain, and many others. 2014).
WHAT TO DO?
Fortunately, greasy pipes needn’t be a by-product of having fun with the turkey dinner. Correctly get rid of FOG present in meals scraps, meat fat, lard, oil, butter, sauces, salad dressings and marinades, and dairy merchandise utilizing the next strategies:
- Pour used cooking oil, bacon grease and different fats professionalducts right into a disposable container, equivalent to an empty espresso can or pasta sauce jar. Let the oil solidify at room temperature, and throw the container within the trash as soon as the container is full.
- Scrape leftover meals particles into the rubbish or compost earlier than washing. Place screens on the sink to catch particles.
- Wipe down grease on pots, pans, utensils and different kitchenware with a disposable, dry paper towel earlier than washing. Discard the paper towel into the rubbish.
- Use strainers over drains within the kitchen, lavatory and laundry room. Clear them often and get rid of all the things that was caught into the trash.
- Filter and reuse giant quantities of deep-frying oil.
- Recycle cooking oils at a grease disposal or environmental recycling web site. Verify with native water suppliers to see if they provide cooking oil recycling. For instance, the Metropolis of Tempe Family Merchandise Assortment Middle collects and recycles cooking oil from Tempe and Guadalupe residents.
- Refrigerate and reuse fats rather than lard for sautéing or for taste.
- Unfold the phrase. Share FOG suggestions with mates and neighborhoods about find out how to stop sewage overflows.
WHAT NOT TO DO?
Keep away from sending meals down the rubbish disposal; rubbish disposals solely shred solids and don’t stop grease from meals from increase once more.
Don’t depend on scorching water or a dishwasher to handle FOG; the warmth may soften the grease and push it additional down the drain, however it’s going to solely solidify once more as soon as it cools, inflicting a build-up in the primary sewer system.
Don’t use cleansing brokers with degreasers. These degreasers briefly break up the FOG, however the FOG rejoins into solids, inflicting a blockage additional down the road.
General, to forestall sewer blockages, don’t put something apart from water down the sink, and flush solely human waste and bathroom paper.
WHAT ABOUT RESTAURANTS?
Encourage native eating places to maintain grease administration a precedence. Along with correctly disposing of solids, eating places are required to put in grease traps or interceptors, however these techniques solely work if they’re correctly sized, put in, maintained and cleaned. Eating places with correctly maintained techniques keep away from ugly odors and plumbing backups. Click on to study extra about how cities work with companies to maintain FOG out of the drains, and discover Tempe’s inventive resolution to partnering with companies to handle grease.
Backside line: Fat, oils and grease might be a part of a wholesome, water-wise life-style. Take a number of moments after every household meal to forestall these dinner by-products from taking place the drain. It’s completely attainable to have your turkey and eat it, too
Click on right here for extra recommendations on find out how to use water properly within the kitchen.
The Metropolis of Tempe Water Assets Division is certainly one of 19 Water – Use It Correctly companions to supply water-saving recommendation and applications.
« Plant of the Month – Damianita