It’s July, Midwinter has arrived! As all of Nature’s energies flip inwards, and life involves a standstill, we lastly have an opportunity to relaxation and mirror too. This month temperatures will hit their lowest for the yr, rain will fall for half the month, and the windiest time of the yr in Melbourne begins.
There are nonetheless a restricted vary of seeds to sow, and plenty of alternative for winter pruning, relocating deciduous crops and planting new ones!
Issues to Do This Month:
- Plant deciduous bushes, shrubs, vines and cane fruits. Wait until spring for planting citrus.
- Divide present perennials and plant new perennials.
- Defend crops that aren’t frost-hardy in frost-prone areas. Frost-tender crops in pots are extra susceptible as roots are above floor, wrap pots of crops with plastic bubble-wrap or hessian.
- Set up windbreaks, such because the plastic tree guard sleeves, round newly planted evergreens.
- Prune deciduous fruit bushes (not apricots, finest to prune these in late autumn when the leaves begin yellowing, throughout dry, ideally windy climate to stop illnesses getting into the pruning cuts). To prune fruit bushes, first lower away any lifeless or diseased wooden, then lower away any branches rising inwards in the direction of the centre or crossing different branches (to stop rubbing and bark harm), and eventually, prune tree to form utilizing the suitable approach for that species.
- Prune deciduous shrubs (and it’s rose pruning time in July too!)
- End pruning grape vines and take hardwood cuttings from these for propagation.
- End pruning currants and gooseberries and take hardwood cuttings from these for propagation.
- Apply natural fertiliser to fruit bushes on the finish of July, in order that the slowly launched vitamins will change into obtainable when the brand new progress commences.
- Spray peaches and nectarines to guard towards leaf curl fungus. Use lime sulphur or a copper fungicide on the bud swell stage (simply earlier than the buds start to open) however earlier than pink bud stage or color reveals. It’s too late to spray as soon as flowering happens.
- When you use horticultural glue bands on tree trunk to stop winter bugs crawling up the tree to put their eggs, now could be the time to interchange the glue bands with new ones.
- Relocate any deciduous crops (bushes, shrubs, vines) or herbaceous perennial crops rising within the improper place in winter. (Evergreens can solely be moved in autumn and early spring, the place they’ve time to regrow roots – bear in mind, they preserve leaves in winter which transpire and lose water!).
- Sow seeds from berry producing bushes and shrubs. Stratification (publicity to chilly) over winter will break seed dormancy.
- Some perennials will be propagated from root cuttings, which will be taken by way of winter.
- Proceed propagation of hardwood cuttings which started in autumn – prune off 30cm lengthy shoots of present season’s progress, lower off the smooth rising tip, lower off the underside finish beneath a bud, and dip finish into rooting hormone. Make a ‘slit trench’ by pushing a spade into soil and rocking it forwards and backwards. In clay soil, add some coarse sand for drainage. Put cuttings in so 2/3 is beneath the soil, and press the soil down round them. Cuttings will root and be able to plant subsequent autumn.
- Proceed planting strawberry runners and shallot bulbs.
Greens and Herbs to Sow:
|Sow in July||Harvest (weeks)|
|Strawberries (seed)||s||12 months|
d = sow immediately into floor
s = sow in seed tray
ds = sow immediately into floor or seed tray
Obtain printable PDF model of Gardening Calendar (Australian Temperate Local weather) – July