It’s January, and we discover ourselves proper in the midst of the summer season season. It’s on this month and the following that we expertise the most well liked day-time and night-time temperatures of the 12 months. With the climate so scorching and dry right now, and with scorching north winds blowing, it’s vital to maintain up with the watering, particularly for crops in containers.
The occasional heavy rains increase the humidity, and the heat brings bugs, so maintain a lookout for any ailments or pests within the backyard.
Cowl peaches and nectarines with bird-netting to guard the fruit, and should you select to skinny out fruit on apples and pears now could be the time to do it. Plum timber can bear very closely and the brittle branches can break beneath the load of the fruit, so it’s finest to tie branches to helps or prop them up if they appear too heavy.
Not forgetting the greens, it’s now time to reap early potatoes, garlic, shallots and globe artichokes.
Sow some winter brassicas reminiscent of broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower and swedes at this month, to allow them to be harvested within the winter season. To make sure that indeterminate (tall rising/staking selection) tomatoes ripen their fruit this late within the season, pinch out the rising tricks to cease additional inexperienced development and take away any side-shoots, so the plant’s vigour is directed in direction of the fruit.
Issues to Do This Month:
- Proceed tying rising vines and brambleberries reminiscent of blackberries and their hybrids again to helps or wires.
- Prune summer season fruiting raspberries – after fruit is picked, minimize out previous canes and tie new canes (which have grown this 12 months) to helps.
- Propagation of semi-hardwood (semi-ripe) cuttings is finished in mid-late summer season, use rooting hormone, and plant in moist industrial propagation combine, or make your individual with one half coarse propagating sand (washed river sand) and one half peat or coconut coir.
- Reduce and dry herbs for winter use.
- Harvest seed from perennial crops
- Lest likelihood to sow vegetable seeds for harvesting in autumn.
- Keep watch over water gardens and ponds, water ranges can get low as a consequence of evaporation. Aquatic crops, together with oxygenators, can develop into overgrown and require thinning right now of 12 months.
Greens and Herbs to Sow:
|Sow in January||Harvest (weeks)|
|Climbing beans||d||Sep 11|
d = sow straight into floor
s = sow in seed tray
ds = sow straight into floor or seed tray
*= frost tender
**= sow after frost
Obtain printable PDF model of Gardening Calendar (Australian Temperate Local weather) – January