Arshad Sharif: Killing of Pakistani journalist in Kenya was ‘focused’ assault, minister says


A Pakistani journalist shot lifeless by police in Kenya final month was the sufferer of a “focused killing,” a senior member of Pakistan’s authorities mentioned on Tuesday, with out providing any proof to help his declare.

Television journalist Arshad Sharif – a vocal critic of the Pakistani army – died in a police taking pictures close to Kenya’s capital Nairobi on October 23.

Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah advised reporters an preliminary evaluation by a two-member truth discovering crew that traveled to Kenya on behalf of the Pakistani authorities was “that Arshad Sharif was killed in a case of focused killing.” More proof was wanted “to verify all this,” he mentioned.

Sanaullah’s feedback seem to contradict earlier accounts from Kenyan authorities that Sharif was shot lifeless by police responding to stories of a stolen automobile in a case of mistaken id.

The Pakistani inside minister additionally accused Kenyan police of “not cooperating” with the fact-finding crew, saying “necessary knowledge” in regards to the case had not been handed over by Kenyan authorities. A proper request to acquire the data had been lodged, he added.

Kenyan police advised CNN they have been unaware Pakistani officers had made any allegations about non-cooperation. “We haven’t obtained any such complaints, which if any, should be made formally,” police spokesperson Isohi Shioso mentioned.

Shioso mentioned the case is being dealt with by police watchdog the Independent Policing Oversight Authority. CNN has reached out to the watchdog for remark.

Sharif fled Pakistan in August after sedition costs have been leveled towards him for allegedly criticizing state establishments and “abetting mutiny” throughout the army.

Those allegations adopted Sharif’s interview with opposition politician Shahbaz Gill, an in depth ally of Imran Khan, the ousted former Prime Minister who was shot final week in murky circumstances throughout a protest rally in Pakistan’s Punjab province.

Following the interview, Pakistani police additionally charged Gill with sedition, claiming he had made “anti-state feedback.”

Sharif’s tv information channel ARY initially claimed it was “being hounded by the current regime,” however later reduce its ties with the journalist after it was taken off air for a couple of month by Pakistani media regulators.

Earlier, an in depth pal of Sharif advised CNN the journalist needed to “flee Pakistan in August to avoid wasting his life.” He had initially gone to Dubai however was pressured to flee once more as a consequence of “harassment by Pakistani officers,” the affiliate mentioned.

The affiliate mentioned Sharif then went to Kenya and had solely been within the East African nation for a couple of weeks earlier than his dying.